Saturday, April 24, 2010

To Richmond!

Several emails, texts, and calls have reached me today asking me how the race went. It didn't. I stopped at a winery in the Shenendoah Valley and, well, I stayed there quite some time. Then I took a nap. When I woke up I drove to a brew pub to eat good food and sample some beer. And they had a lot of beers to sample. So I took another nap. When I finally "came to" I continued onward to Richmond.

Seriously, the race is tomorrow. I left Eville yesterday afternoon, making it as far as Beckley, WV last night. What a wonderful drive. Those ever-rolling hills are turning green. And the mountains of West Virginia made me drool with anticipation for summer. Its been a couple of years since my last visit to Beckley and nearby New River Gorge. I'll return with a bus full of students in June for another rafting/climbing/hiking trip. Can't wait.

I finished the drive acrosse the Virginia mountains and valleys this morning. I have checked into the race, rode and run the technical course, checked Bruiser into transition for the night, talked to several friends who have converged from all over the country, visited the American Civil War Center, ate at Panera, and now I am preparing for bed. Can't wait to race! I'll write a full trip report as soon as I get a chance. ST

1 comment: