Sunday, May 9, 2010

BS #2 Is Blistfully Split

Some time ago, while researching the richly dramatic and multi-faceted development of the atomic model and atomic bomb, I came across a statement by Niels Bohr that I found both thought-provoking and hilarious. For many years Bohr and Einstein "debated"/disagreed about the perceptions and limitations of the laws governing the physical world. Einstein, still struggling to fully understand and explain classical mechanics while simultaneously propelling and refining the concept of the quantum, refused to find much need for or value in Bohr's complementarity principle and quantum mechanics as the "new" physics without first exhausting the exploration of classical mechanics. Bohr and his Copenhagen lab fell in with a large group of the world's physicists who believed that quantum mechanics was needed because classical mechanics had failed to fully understand or explain the uncertainties and probabilities created by its arbitrary nature.

This gentlemenly and always friendly dispute often produced give and take bantor. Among the many statements these two super-celebrity physicists made to the press was one in which Bohr proved that his wit matched his genius. He stated, "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

The philosophy behind that statement serves as the basis for the development of the training plans I create for both myself and the athletes I work with. Goals are great to have. Plans for reaching those goals are only as good as they are flexible. Put another way, focusing on the end result is important, but no more important than realizing that there is more than one pathway to that goal. After recognizing this truth many years ago, I started writing all of my plans in pencil. Then word/data processing made workout adjustments as easy as holding down a backspace button!

Why am I thinking and writing about this? Well, life got in the way again. I asked my AP/IB chemistry students whether they wanted a help session on Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon. "Yes," they replied. So I agreed to conduct AP/IB chemistry help sessions at school for several hours yesterday and today. The planned Big Saturday could not happen. No problem. Both the long run and long bike would be completed, but not in succession. The "plan" is supposed to maximize my endurance and efficiency before I tackle that week in July. Completing a long run and a long bike with only a short "transition" between them could, conceivably, produce an all-day adventure. BS #2 was supposed to be a stepping stone toward making that a reality. It wasn't.

Again, no problem. I simply did what life let me. I first ran 21 miles in 2:30 (7:09 ave), starting at a conservative 7:15 pace and finishing with a few 6:30ish miles. The legs felt absolutely great throughout this hilly run (1360 vert ft). This run was aided by cool air (50's) and hindered by brutally fast moving air (20-30 mph). What an awesome experience! With my heart rate well below normal, I cruised along while waiting to tighten up and or bonk. The fast closing miles resulted when neither scenario occurred.

Then I went for a ride that fit into the schedule. I covered 22 miles in 61 minutes (21.6 mph ave) in the same cool, fast moving air and under a mostly blue sky. Seated climbs into the wind after that run gave me confidence and happiness!

The long bike ride materialized this morning. Donning long sleeves and gloves in May, I completed a 51.2-mile ride in 2:29 (20.6 mph ave) under a cloudless sky. What a ride! I traveled through the rural farm land of two counties with a moderate breeze (8-10 mph) while the temperature climbed from the upper-40's to the mid-50's. I love spring time in southern Indiana farm country. Honest. I encountered more cows and tractors than cars today. Amazingly, I did not see another cyclist.

So, though this latest BS is really BSS, I am content to report that I have more BS in my life. Experience has taught me that I will, eventually, have enough BS left in my wake to allow me to reach my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment