Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Minutes to Memories

Is time constant?  Depends on your relativistic perspective.  It certainly moves along at an uncaring, fixed rate during the life span of a human.  I listen to John Mellencamp's music regularly.  He refers to the concept of time often in his music.  In Minutes to Memories he preaches:

Days turn to minutes and minutes to memories
Life sweeps away the dreams that we have planned
You are young and you are the future
Suck it up and tough it out and do the best you can

"Your life is now" and "Human wheels spin round and round while the clock keeps the pace" are the ring tones and alarms on my phone. Yes, I make certain that the concept of time is never far from my focus.

Though I would not consider myself obsessed with or conflicted by the matter, seldom does a day pass that I do not reflect on the fact that my life is passing by in every moment.  Whether I am asleep or awake, whether I am running fast or reading peacefully in my favorite rocker, or whether I am writing a test or a story, my time on Earth is passing.  I decided long ago to attempt to fill my time with life's experiences.

Some of life's experiences, like showering, laundry, and taking out the trash (recyclables), are at once mundane and preferred.  Sleeping.  Well, I've covered that one before - such a waste of precious time, but also most necessary.  I tend to rush through or cut short these life-eaters. Time spent with family and friends is very important to me, but I've chosen to keep most of that side of life out of this blog.

Honestly, I even tend to rush through normal runs or rides because I see those efforts as moving toward goals.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy the relaxation and fulfillment I gain from most of my run/ride efforts, but I also view those events as health maintenance and goal preparation.  The goals include living a long life, participating in big races, and propelling myself throughout the world.  Accomplishing all of those goals will continue to allow me to have the peak experiences and meet the fantastic people I write about in this blog.

While the last eighteen life-altering months have been filled with awesome experiences, I hope to pack this year with even more big moments.  It is early, but I am planning to attend some big and tough races. In March I will either race in the LBL 60K or the Tom King Half on March 12 - depending on how much fast running I can fit in during the next six weeks.  I enjoyed both races in the past and I am pained by the fact that they are on the same day.

I would love to race the Du Nats in Tucson in late April, but the nerve in my shoulder is not yet healed enough to allow me to ride.  A short ride just before Christmas resulted in excruciating pain and numbness in my right arm.  I miss my bike.  Du Nats is on the back burner for now.

On Saturday January 15 I will attempt to enter the San Juan Solstice 50.  This event follows a ridge route that allows almost constant viewing of some of the most beautiful land in the US.  The San Juan range contains most of the 14ers I have yet to climb, so the race would serve as a scouting expedition for the summer climbs!

I also intend to run the Leadville Silver Rush 50 again with a goal of lowering my time.  That means I plan to actually train for the event this year.  Last year's training consisted of ten weeks at 32 miles per week.  That mileage was twice my normal output, but probably half of what I should be have logged.  The training plan for this year calls for twice as many ultra runs as last year. And if you've been keeping up with this blog you know that half of the ultra runs were cut short by excessive heat.

I am also considering another run at the Leadville Marathon.  That effort would come between the two 50's, so I'll have to have a lot of confidence in my or legs or a complete loss of faculty to go through with the crazy notion.

NOTE:  I will soon complete a blog detailing a couple of awesome trips I had over the recent holiday break.  It will include some sweet pictures.  I have not been able to post it because my malfunctioning computer would not allow me to work with photos.

In the meantime, I'll have to make sure I keep an eye on the clock and and my mind on my the goals.


1 comment:

  1. Persistence paid off as I kept clicking refresh and was lucky enough to be at the computer at the instant the registration was finally reset. My poor typing skills allowed me to be the 31st entrant in the SJS50. Now I have two 50 M's separated by one month.

    ReplyDelete