Spring break for a teacher can lead to many opportunities. Spring cleaning - check. Property work - check. A chance to recharge the mind and spirit to a level required to sustain us in our multifaceted, high-energy, and life-consuming jobs - check. Well, the property work and cleaning have been started, but neither is complete. My position is that those tasks can never really be complete, so I tend to them on a regular basis as a matter of maintaining an equilibrium whose balance favors "looks good" and "not dilapidated."
The recharging is another matter, completely. I sleep when I can and rest as life permits. A day filled with movement can be as relaxing and energizing as any nap while also being more fulfilling than a day engaged in sedentary activities such as watching TV or tapping a keyboard. (Hey . . . wait a minute . . .) A person simply has to know which activities will bring them a peace of mind.
If you are reading this blog you already know that it was created because I want to share with others how I find that inner peace through traveling, running, cycling, and hiking. You also know that I find happiness in hills, especially hills big enough to be called mountains. I love everything about the mountains; the smells, the wildlife, the streams, the challenges, and the people I meet. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend several days "relaxing" in the mountains of North Carolina this week.
The moment I arrived in Appalachia, as usual, I rolled down the windows and slowly breathed in the distinctively aromatic air. Not long after that I parked next to the Pigeon River so that I could stretch out my legs while I walked along the bank and thought of what the next few days had in store for me. The trip was not a long one, so I attempted to pack a lot of experiences into every day. I am writing a series of posts that look into the different aspects of the trip. I will be posting them as time permits over the next few days.
Come on man. Don't tease me. Post the blogs! Just kidding. Can't wait to read them!
ReplyDeleteJAydt
Have fun and be safe!
ReplyDeleteJeremy, you know I love to tease!
ReplyDeleteKent - Good advice, but I can only agree to half of it.